The Saxon settlement of Pevisigge almost certainly had a church
built of wood and thatch on the present site high above the often
The Normans replaced it with one of stone and the arcades of pillars
and arches remain. The font is also Norman.
In the 13th century the nave roof was rebuilt and a clerestory was
formed and a tower was built.
In 1861 the south chancel aisle (the chapel) was added and the church
was filled with pews and galleries.
The greatest restoration took place in 1889-90 during the incumbency
of Canon Bouverie. He carved the font cover as a memorial to the
men of the parish who fell in the 1914-18 war.
Mrs A Mantle
Mr G Olsen